Friday, September 21, 2007

Childhood Memories--From the Thrift Store?

Do you ever think back to your childhood and remember things that are seemingly not so important. For me I always had memories of a beautiful sunflower crewel embroidery piece that I remember my mother working on. This was during the 70's and I was about 10-12yrs old at the time and I can still remember her sitting with this large sunflower peice stretched between two dining room chairs stitching away--sometimes just her and sometimes with a friend. She finished the piece and it hung in our home for many years and then when I was 18 we had house fire and that was the end of the big stitched sunflower picture.
Fast forward about 20 some years to one of my favorite thrift stores and there it is! The crewel embroidery sunflower picture! It was the same exact colors, the same everything! It felt like home! I had to have it! Only 4.00! (It's a big piece--nearly 5 ft tall--with lots of stitching) What a bargain! So into my cart it went along with that look from the husband--you're going to buy that ugly thing--why yes of course! Nobody in the family likes it but me and even if it didn't have childhood memories attached to it I would have still bought it, because I LOVE it! So for 4.00 I actually got to buy a memory--that doesn't very often.


Don't forget to stop by Kelli's for more Show & Tell Fridays. Enjoy the weekend and who knows maybe you'll have an old memory pop up and give you an nice surprise too!

18 comments:

Susie said...

I think it's wonderful that you were able to find that same design in the thrift store. How awful it must have been to lose so many things in a house fire..
($4.00 is a real bargain for such a large piece of needlework!)
:)

nannykim said...

Awesome story--what a providence of God to find that!!! That was definetly what is called a God-wink!

Penless Thoughts said...

I like it, too. What a wonderful story and bargain for sure. I know the hours and hours that went into that piece.
Susan

Mica Garbarino said...

wow that sent chills up my spine. What a great story...and I think it looks lovely. wow wow wow.

Mica

LBP said...

What a great story! It really is very pretty.

BTW-I love your Halloween tree. I have one up this year too, though mine is smaller. I love Halloween!

Linda

Jean said...

What a great story! It is so much fun to find childhood memories and when they are cheap, even better!

Hootin'Anni said...

That was a bargain & a half!!! It's pretty, and nice to hear some of the things were replaceable.

ellen b said...

What a wonderful story. That must have been a fun moment when you spotted it at the thrift store...

PEA said...

I so love the story behind that needlework picture! I love going to thrift shops and yes, quite often I'll see something that will trigger a memory from my childhood:-)

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing your memory and your picture with us.~Amy

Kristy Jo said...

what a beautiful memory and piece!! thanks for sharing!

Barbara H. said...

I was so sad that it was lost in a fire but then so amazed that you found an exact replica! I would have bought it, too!

crazyhaberdasher said...

You were meant to find it!! You were so lucky to be in the right place at the right time. That is wonderful! My parents lost a house in a bush fire in the 80's and the things we miss are the childhood photos of Mum and Dad.

Kelli said...

That is so amazing that you were able to find the exact same piece!! You must have been so excited and I think it's lovely!
Kelli

Miss Maddie's said...

Dear Cathy, Thankyou for popping by to visit me.I think your sunflower needlework is perfect.The colors are great for this time of year, the price was right, but most of all it connects you to the past.Something that not even the flames from a fire could qwell. Susan

Lana said...

well I think it's wonderful! and look at the autumn colors... just in time!

Suzanne said...

Oh Cathy! I'm so glad you were able to find a bit of your past....and at such a great deal! :)

Anonymous said...

I knew that picture looked familiar. I forgot about it until now. It does bring back some childhood memories. You'll have to show it to me at Thanksgiving when I come up with the family.

Your favorite brother
Greg