Saturday, May 16, 2009

Chocolate Buttermilk Bread


Warning! This is a very dangerous recipe and worth every bit of calories! I must place the blame on Lynn at Lynn's Kitchen's Adventures where I found the recipe, so please send all of your extra calories to her and not me!

I made this yesterday and it is sooooo good! Lynn also said she used it for muffins , which I think I will try next. It's sort of a cross between soft brownies and a really good muffin, not at all like bread. Oh and I doubled the recipe and made 2 loaves! Oink! Thank you Lynn--I think!?

Enjoy!


Buttermilk Chocolate Bread

1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease only the bottom of a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the buttermilk. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into the buttermilk mixture until moistened. Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 55 to 65 minutes in the preheated oven, until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.



11 comments:

bj said...

I'm telling you ..this sounds so darn good. I am going to make some this very day....thanks so much.

Lynn said...

I am so glad that you liked the recipe. Thankfully when I make this my three kids eat it up so I won't eat it all. :)

rockriverstitches said...

Cathy, Thanks for this recipe!! LOVE anything chocolate, especially cake!

Tammy

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Oh Cathy, I have all the ingredients..can't wait to make this...will make 2, one for us and one for our neighbors...thanks for sharing....YuM!!!!:)

oatbread said...

oink is right cathy , I just took a pound of butter out of the freezer to make sourcream poundcake and I stumble upon this. Sounds wonderful. Donna

The Carolina Peddler said...

I just HAVE to make that recipe, because I'm sure the grandkids would love to have some muffins. I'm a chocolate addict, of course I'll blame the grandkids!!! Thanks

Deb

UPON A HILL said...

Yummy, I must try this. This sounds great!

June said...

Hi Cathy,
Sounds sinful. Can't wait to try it.
Smiles,
June

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I came from Cates, what a yummy bread, can't wait to try it! Your blog is delightful, I"ll be back!

Mimi's Rose Chenille Boutique said...

OMG, this sounds so yummy, will have to make this one today!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day and thanks for sharing this recipe.

Mimi

Dena said...

Cathy, One of the dangers of browsing everyone's blog is the great recipes you'll come across. I've never met anyone who is into fiber arts that didn't have outstanding recipes to share.

I have enjoyed reading your blog and love your eclectic vintage style. Thank you for sharing.