Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mom's Best Ever Pie Crust


I always like to do as much cooking ahead of Thanksgiving as I can, so the day before is when I make my casseroles, side dishes and pies, but this year I decided to make my pie crust ahead of time and freeze it and that's just what I finished doing this afternoon. I made up two batches of pie crust and popped them in the freezer and then on Tuesday evening I'll put them in the fridge to thaw out overnight and then all I have to do is roll em' out and fill em' up!

Mom's Best Ever Pie Crust

3 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1/3 cold water
1 egg, beaten
2 Tblsp vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

Put flour into a large bowl and add shortening. Cut shortening into flour with a pastry cutter until it resembles very coarse cornmeal. Mix together we ingredients in a small bowl and add to the flour mixture. Add salt. Gently stir with a fork until all is moistened and dough forms a nice ball. Divide into 4 small balls of dough and roll out as needed.

Note/Tips:
  • For the shortening I like to use Crisco butter flavored shortening.
  • If you don't have a pastry cutter use 2 butter knives and cut the shortening by using criss cross cutting motions.
  • For a tender flaky pie crust use ice water for your cold water.
  • Be gentle with the dough and don't overwork it.
  • To freeze dough wrap each ball tightly in plastic wrap and then place into a freezer bag. Dough will freeze nicely for up to 3 months.