Friday, December 4, 2009

Frozen Turkey Update

I've had a few requests for an update on how my frozen turkey turned out and I'm very happy to report that it turned out fabulous! And it was so easy and I didn't have to take up valuable space in the fridge or have a mess of melting turkey juice.

I put it in my roaster, covered it with foil--it was too big for my lid to fit--and then I popped it into a 325 degree oven and after about 2 1/2-3 hours I wrangled it's goody bag of lizards and gizzards out of it. It wouldn't give up it's neck, so I just left that and tossed it out later. I never use any of those parts anyway. Oh and I cut off the turkey butt--can't stand to cook the turkey butt!

Then I brushed it with olive oil, rubbed sage, poultry seasoning and garlic powder and let it go for about 8 hours (it was a 23 pounder) and basted it every so often. It gave me a ton of juices! More so than if I had thawed it. It was not dry anywhere and it tasted great! So from now on, I'm doing all my turkeys this way. I thought it was so much easier and less mess with great results.