Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sock Monkey's & Grandbabies

Saturday night I became a new grandma! And of course all grandma's have to make something for their new little grandbaby and since monkey's and jungle animals are the nursery theme for baby James I decided to make him a Sock Monkey hat and cocoon.


For the Sock Monkey hat I used a pattern by Shelley Tudor, found in her Etsy Shop HERE. It turned out rather cute, but way tooooo big! The yarn I chose was Homespun by Lion brand and it was a much thicker yarn than called for, so my gauge was off, but now he'll have something to grow into. The yarns of the right weight I could find were much too itchy for a newborn, but this Homespun by Lion brand is so very, very soft and perfect for babies. And Shelley's pattern ranges in size from newborn to teen.

And then the cocoon pattern I used is by Sandy Powers and can found in her Etsy Shop HERE.
It also has a little matching hat, that I may make up so he has something to wear til his little head fits into the other hat--which will probably not be for quiet awhile! Both of these patterns have great instructions and color photos are are very easy to follow even for a beginner.


And now this is the darling little baby boy James that will be decked out to look like a little sock monkey. Isn't he just adorable!

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh MY Cathy! You're going to LOVE being a grandma! Our little guy recently had his first birthday and we've enjoyed every minute of time we get to spend with him. Hope you're close enough to visit often

GARAGE SALE GAL ~ Deb's Earthly Delights said...

He is a darling Grandbaby! Congrat's!!! Enjoy spoiling him!
Deb

Truckin.Diva said...

That little hat is so cute. I love the sock monkey stuff. I wonder if I could figure out how to make one on the loom. Enjoy being GB.

Karen said...

Hi Cathy!
Do you remember me? I am the one who posted the Christmas Carol book you remember from your childhood. I think of you now when I look at my book. I leave it out all year up in my studio.
I was wondering if you ever found your copy?
Just FYI, there is one for sale at Amazon. Kinda pricey - I think I paid $15 and they want $32 but maybe they would take less.
Anyhow - YOU ARE SO LUCKY! I would love to be a gramma. Someday! I think I need a DIL first!
But I do have 2 great nieces, the 2nd was born on October 15th! Close to yours!
Very fun! Enjoy him!
Have a good day!
Karen ~ Some Days Are Diamonds