Friday, December 6, 2013

Making Pancakes in the Oven

First just let me say I am not a food photographer---as you will clearly see. 
I am also the world's worst pancake maker. 

I can cook and bake, but forget pancakes. Then I decided hey, why not see if they can be baked instead of fixed on the griddle and sure enough they can and so now I can make pancakes! 


 Preheat the oven to 375. Then following your favorite pancake recipe, mix them up. I used my favorite mix--Krusteaz Blueberry Pancake mix.I used the 2 cup recipe. I think a larger batch would be too much at one time. 

Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper--or just butter it well, pour in the batter and bake for 10-12 minutes.



And you're done! As you can see they do not brown. I did turn on the broiler for about 2 minutes (since this was a glass dish I left it on the bottom rack) and all I got were little cracks, so just go with the no brown. Although I might try brushing them with a bit of butter the last few minutes of baking time next time. 



And if your brain says that pancakes have to be round then use a large cookie cutter and voila! Round pancakes. These baked up to be a big, fluffy 1 inch tall--yup I measured. The only thing they need is some berry syrup and some sausage. Or bacon. Or both.

So now I can make pancakes--my way! 

Bon Apetite!