Monday, June 4, 2007

Random Act Of Kindness


I saw something today that I just had to share. While my youngest daughter and I were sitting in the Jack In The Box parking lot waiting on our order in the overflow area I was watching the traffic at the busy intersection when I noticed an elderly lady with a shopping cart--no she wasn't a bag lady--just a lady with a shopping cart, probably from her apartment complex that sits near to the large grocery store she was heading toward--when I noticed the car next to her that is stopped at the light. A woman on the passenger's side steps out onto to the sidewalk, walks up to the elderly lady and is saying something into her ear. The woman from the car then bends down and ties both of the elderly woman's shoes for her. During this time the light changes and the driver of the car pulls around the corner, the elderly lady's shoes are tied and she crosses the street and the other woman sprints down the sidewalk to her waiting ride.

Now how often do you see that. Such a simple thing by a very observant and caring person. I wondered if I would have done such a thing, but was grateful to be able to witness the simple act of kindness. It was not only an act of kindness to the elderly lady, but a reminder and perhaps a lesson to all those around who did witness it. In this very busy, ever changing world with wars and terrorist attempts, tainted foods and other unrests it's nice to know there are still good hearts watching out for those in need. I hope myself and all of us can take a moment this week to stop and see who around us might need their shoes tied.