Monday, August 27, 2007

Veggie Swap Pincushion

No, it's not a purple pear--it's an eggplant! Really it is. I made this for a pincushion veggie swap we did over at the yahoo group Crazy About Pincushions . I was determined to make an eggplant, but didn't realize what a challenge it would be. I think the next one I'm going to make the top part wider. I used purple and green velvet and then embellished it with some feather stitching and beads. And speaking of eggplant I thought I'd post my favorite recipe for the veggie. It's so good and tastes a bit like thanksgiving stuffing!

Eggplant Casserole

2 lb eggplant, peeled & cubed
1 qt bread crumbs
½ cup evaporated milk
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tblsp butter
3 eggs, beaten
½ tsp powdered sage
1 Tblsp salt
Salt & pepper

Soak peeled & cubed eggplant in salt water overnight. Steam 30 min. Soak crumbs in milk and mix with eggplant. Add eggs & seasonings. Mix well by hand. Put in a casserole dish and top with grated cheese. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.