Friday, November 30, 2007

Show & Tell Friday--I'm Babysitting!

This week I thought I'd share what I'm babysitting--it's a rocking chair! Isn't it gorgeous! This is a family piece that now belongs to my brother, however he didn't have room for it and so he asked me if I would babysit it. You bet!

He only had 3 rules for it--1. That only those who will respect it can sit in it. It has a caned seat, so it's delicate and I knew that a few of my Raggedy Ann's & Andy's would take great care with it. 2. That it doesn't leave my house. I don't usually travel with my furniture. 3. That I don't throw a fit and cry when he finally takes it back home. Well we'll see about that one! LOL!

This picture shows a bit of the wreath detailing that is has on it. He has the other brass wreath, so it can be repaired. I'm not really sure how old this piece is, but I would easily say 100 yrs plus. This is the best babysitting job I've ever had!

Don't forget to visit our hostess Kelli and see all of the other Show & Tell Friday blogs too.

13 comments:

http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2007/11/29/show-and-tell-friday-christmas-table/ said...

Ha! That is a great babysitting job for sure. I love all his rules especially the last one. Enjoy it while you have it, it's beautiful...
ellen b

PEA said...

Oh what a beautiful vintage rocking chair...you WILL have a very hard time giving it up when he comes to take it home with him! lol xo

Daughter of the King said...

Sounds like the Dolls are doing the Babysitting...a gorgeous chair.
Deby

Penless Thoughts said...

What a beautiful chair. I love his 3 rules. Made me laugh!!!
Susan

Retha said...

I would babysit a chair like that any time too. Or let those lovely raggedy A's do it.

Hootin' Anni said...

Yes sir....I love wooden rocking chairs. And how you have placed the Raggedy Ann dolls on it makes it so homey and inviting!!!

I'm late getting around to visiting the other show n tells this week.

Hope your weekend is super.

donna said...

When he comes over asking for it , stare blankly at him and say "" Who are you and what chair are you talking about"" . Beautiful chair and lovely place to have your raggedy collection. Donna

Mary said...

The rocking chair is exquisite and a real family heirloom. I'm sure your dolls will respect it and carefully follow your brothers rules. However, if he takes it back, I'm not sure you will be able to contain your tears. :-)

Blessings,
Mary

nannykim said...

Love it--and love the raggy dolls!! I would love to make one someday!! I too have a very old rocking chair, mine has mother of pearl on its back and it is one of the most comfy chairs--nice and wide. Thanks for sharing.

Mommy said...

Very beautiful! My MIL gave us an old cained rocker that they found on the road in someone's trash pile. They had it repaired and refinished. I love having it in our home.

A grandbaby sitting job indeed. How much is your brother paying you to watch it?

Jane said...

I love the chair too. I am sure you will have a hard time parting with it when the time comes. Looks like you found the perfect sitting company for it though~

Have a great weekend,
~Jane

Mica Garbarino said...

It is a beautiful rocker !!! And I adore all the Raggies sitting on it. what a lovely piece to be " Sitting !!! )

Mica
http://garboodles.typepad.com/

Kelli said...

What a beautiful chair to babysit! I love all your sweet dolls sitting on it!

Kelli