Friday, November 9, 2007

Show & Tell Friday--Ironing Board Cupboard & Knott's Berry Farm

For this weeks Show & Tell Friday I have 2 things to share.

First, what's inside this long skinny cupboard in my kitchen? (the doll was made for me by an online friend Sandra Kazmierski)


Why it's an ironing board! And believe it or not I do use it and it is quite handy. I just open the cupboard and pull down the ironing board and iron away. However I haven't found a good spot to keep my iron nearby yet. The iron is wider that the cupboard and the little cabinet next to it holds baking dishes. I wonder where the other women stored their irons? Isn't the little Scotty dog print on the cover cute. The house was built in the early 1900's, but I don't think this little cupboard came til later--maybe the 1930's or 40's. I'm sure it must have been a very modern thing to have at the time and now it's become something cute to have--but still very functional. How times change.


Here's the stamp that is inside the back wall of the ironing cuboboard. Even it's cute!


Ok, now for my 2nd thing to share. Check out the Show & Tell of Ellen B of the Happy Wanderer . She has a similar photo of her parents taken at Knott's Berry Farm in the 1950's. This one is of me (in the center) and my cousins Cheri and Merry Jo taken in 1964 when I was 3 yrs old. I thought it was pretty neat to see that we both had similar photos. Ellen do you think anyone else out there has one to add to ours? If so please share it with us. I know I'd love to see it.

Don't forget to see all the other Show & Tells by visiting our hostess Kelli's blog. Happy Friday!

18 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Cathy,
When my husband and I were newlyweds, our first apartment had a cupboard like that for the ironing board. I do believe they're coming back in style, because I've seen the kits to install them at Home Depot, etc.
As I commented on Ellen's we had a chicken dinner at Knott's Berry Farm on our honeymoon. I know I have some old pictures from even before that tucked away.
xo

LBP said...

I love your doll and fold away ironing board. I have one of those in my craft room, (mine is new). It has a little shelf at the top that is lined in metal that the iron sits on. There is also room for a can of spray starch.

Blessings

Linda

Mica Garbarino said...

Cathy !!!

I love the old hidden ironing board and the Mammy doll !!! I love her too !!! I hope you are... or shall I say.. it looks like you are really enjoying your new home... how on earth did you unpack and make it look so nice so fast !!! P.s Thanks for the compliment on my new page background.. did you see what I did on my Garb-oodles site too ?? I recently figured out how to customize everything !!! See ya soon.

XO Mica

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts said...

What a neat ironing board cabinet! And Knott's Berry farm sounds like a neat place -- love the pictures.

Amanda said...

My ironing board is way too big to store there! Would be nice to be able to stow it away like that though!

Hootin'Anni said...

I remember these!! Boy, that makes me feel ancient. LOL

My show n tell is autumn decor this week, won't you join me?

Jean said...

I had an ironing board in my kitchen and loved it. When I remodeled and it had to be taken out I discovered the still made them. Now I have one in a small hallway and use it most every day. Love it!

ellen b said...

Look how absolutely adorable you and your cousins are sitting in that wagon! I'm so thrilled you dug it up and posted it. What fun. Oh and that kitchen ironing board is wonderful...

Crystal said...

I love it! I love skinny little useful cabinets like that. And the doll you have on the door is so cute!

Mommy said...

I sure wish I had an ironing board cabinet like that! My grandma had one in her kitchen I remember from my visits to her house.

That is so neat that both of you had similar photos to share. Very neat. If I ever go to CA, I'll have to try and go there.

Quinne said...

Hi Cathy :) Thank you for sharing about your ironing cubbard - such a functional idea. I liked your picture, too! Blessings, Q

PEA said...

I was raised in a tiny little house that had such an ironing board inside a cupboard just like yours! I remember mom opening the door and just bringing the ironing board down:-) I don't remember where she use to leave her iron, though, I'll have to ask her! xo

Kimmie said...

Hi Cathy

Love your ironing board! In our first house we had one in the wee kitchen cupboard (a narrow spice cupboard w/ a flop down ironing board.)

Your picture is sweet...nice memory.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Penless Thoughts said...

What character your home has. Something rare today!!!
Susan

Lana G! said...

Love the Knott's Berry Farm picture! Absolutely adorable.

Your ironing board cupboard is wonderful also!

(Ellen is my sister :)

itsnotaplace said...

What a Great idea, show and tell...

I have a show and tell about Knott's...

Here is a website I set up about my efforts to restore the old town clock that was at Knott's for the past 50 years... http://www.dregerclock.org

It was built by my great-grandfather, but is no longer at Knott's berry Farm we are working to restore it and get it back where the public can enjoy it again!

if anyone out there has remembrances of the clock you can go to our site and leave a little note about it..
Leave a memory of the Dreger Clock at Knott's

ColinH said...

I have made an ironing board in a cupboard, based on a U Bild design but using a 'recycled' ironing board as the basis. An iron holder if fitted next to it, together with a couple of hooks to hold a silicon rubber mat.The cubboard used to house a hot water tank with an immersion heater, but this went when the combi boiler came, but the power socket is useful for the iron.

Colin Hawkins, London, England

stefan said...

Good Job! :)