Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Pincushions and a Primitive Pocket

I finally got something made! It's a Primitive Pocket, a little sewing roll up and 2 pincushions. The Primitive Pocket, sewing roll up and 1 of the pincushions are on their way to Sharon Stevens of Mustard Seed Originals--I hope she's not peeking!!



For the Primitive Pocket I cross stitched a colonial style peacock and flowers with a bit of feather stitching. The peacock pattern is from part of a really cool pincushion pattern I bought from Stacy Nash of Stacy Nash Primitives . I absolutely LOVE her stuff and hope to keep adding her patterns to my collection.

I have discovered however that I can't see worth a darn when it comes to cross stitching. I need to go get real glasses now! So to fix this problem I slightly enlarged the pattern to fit my piece and then I photocopied the cross stitch pattern onto tissue paper and stitched right over it! Much easier to see--however the picking out of the tissue when finished is a challenge.



Here are the 2 Star Pincushions--I kept the green and brown and sent Sharon the blue and brown. The Star pincushions are a pattern by Denise Davis of Sassafras Hill Primitives . This makes a really nice sized large pincushion, but for my purposes this time I sized it down by half and it still makes quite a nice pincushion and they're fun to make!


Here's a view of the inside of the little sewing roll up--very simple. I definitely had fun making these and hope to get some more primitive pockets made up--maybe not with cross stitch--maybe some wool applique instead--much easier to see! LOL

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very very cute! I need my daughter to come see these pics!!
Thanks :)
Stephanie

crazyhaberdasher said...

Love them, love them, love them, love them!!

Rhonda said...

NeatO'. I like how you put all your colors together. Explain what the pocket and the rollup are for? Not quite sure of specific uses. Finally glad you are catching up with me on the eye thing. It is a pain isn't it?! Bigger is better. Big print books at the Library, that is where I go. Beautiful work as always. Cool Peacock! Tissue... would give 3-d feathers. hehehe

Rhonda said...

NeatO'. I like how you put all your colors together. Explain what the pocket and the rollup are for? Not quite sure of specific uses. Finally glad you are catching up with me on the eye thing. It is a pain isn't it?! Bigger is better. Big print books at the Library, that is where I go. Beautiful work as always. Cool Peacock! Tissue... would give 3-d feathers. hehehe

Rhonda said...

Cathy, please hop on over to my little bloggy and see what little special suprise I have for you. "Have a Beautiful Day" Rhonda

Patricia said...

I fell in love with the primitive pocket - it's beautiful.

Gayle said...

Cathy - Have you ever heard of waste canvas for cross stitching? It makes stitching on other items VERY easy!

Huckleberry Arts said...

You have been awars thanful award its on my blog ;)

Have a beautiful day!
Annette

kelley said...

they are wonderful...great work Cathy!

Tanya said...

Oh how lovely! You might like my Yahoo! group called Stacy Nash Groupies by the way. You have a lovely blog.

Tanya