Monday, August 3, 2009

It's National Brownie Month


It's National Brownie Month and who doesn't love a good, chocolatey, chewy, ohey, gooey brownie heaped with a slab of chocolate frosting! Just makes my mouth water! So in honor of National Brownie Month I think it only fitting that we should all make it a priority this month to taste as many brownies as possible until we each find our perfect brownie. If someone out there has the perfect brownie recipe I would sure appreciate it if you'd share. I've yet to find the perfect brownie recipe, but I promise to keep trying until I do. In the meantime I'm going to share the brownie recipe that I use often. It's actually a brownie mix that you make yourself. It's from the Make A Mix Cookery Book.

Brownie Mix

6 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp salt
8 cups sugar
1-8oz can unsweetened cocoa
2 cups shortening

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add sugar and cocoa. Blend well. Cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Put in a large airtight container and store in a cool dry place. Use within 10-12 weeks. Makes about 17 cups brownie mix.

Brownies from Brownie Mix

2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups brownie mix
1/2 chopped nuts (opt)

Combine eggs, vanilla and brownie mix. Beat until smooth. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased 8-inch baking dish. Bake at 350 approx 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Note--add 2 Tblsp milk to batter for cake-like brownies.

Top with a slab of chocolate frosting or sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!

8 comments:

bj said...

Oh, my goodness..I had NO idea this was National Brownie Month..I am thrilled beyond words cause, like most EVERYbody, I DO LOVE ME SOME BROWNIES.
Thanks for the heads up and the recipe....
xo bj

Maryjane - The Beehive Cottage said...

Well girl, thank you for the heads up on National Bronie Month! Gives me a good excuse to make tons of brownies! I love them with chocolate FROSTING! Cute post and thanks for the recipe!

Hugs,
Maryjane

June said...

Hi Cathy,
I do love your idea of tasting brownies all month until we find the perfect one or (get sick as dogs). I know my husband will love this plan as well. I'll let you know if I find it.
I used to make this very mix years ago and it served me and the family well. I love a lot of the mixes in that book.
Hugs,
June

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

If it's really Brownie Month, then I'll be forced to eat them every day. Oh, my. What shall I do? But, if I have to, I will! (Yum, yum, don't tell!)

cwa said...

Thank you for sharing this vital information with your readers. I didn't even know it was National Brownie Month! How could I have missed out on such important information. I LOVE Brownies. Now I feel like it is my patriotic duty to eat them all month, and it will help stimulate the economy of my local grocery store as I buy all those wonderful brownie ingredients. I am going to start with your yummy recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

SharDon Exclusives said...

I just made my hubby brownies last night for a surprise when he got up this morning and I didn't even know that I was celebrating National Brownie Month! Yesterday was National Watermelon Day and I missed that all together...lol
Sharon

Pat Winter said...

This is too funny, I have brownies in the oven as I type. Yum!

debi @ life in my studio said...

mmmmm! Brownies are one of my faves. I didn't know it had it's own month. I better bake some brownies.