Saturday, May 8, 2010

I'm A College Student!

At 49 years old I'm going to be a student again! My life's course has taken a new path and going to school is part of the new path. I am going for my AAS in Medical Administration and will be taking online courses with Rasmussen College in Minnesota. I am so excited and look forward to learning and seeing what new experiences this will bring.

The only thing I dread is the math! Ugh! On my entrance tests I scored high in both the english and writing, but flunked out of the math. I could have colored all the little bubbles in a pretty little design and probably scored better that way! Needless to say I'll be taking the refresher--college way of saying "remedial"--math. Oh well I think I'll survive.

The degree will take about 18 months to complete and school starts this coming Monday. I'll be starting mid quarter, so I'll only have 5 weeks instead of the usual 11 to complete my first 2 courses--Refresher Math and Success Strategies. At least one of the two is an easy one. Then next quarter I'll bump it up to 3 courses per quarter, so I can graduate on time.

Guess I'd better get my pencils sharpened and notebooks ready--or nowadays I guess it would be fill up the printer with ink and paper and get my out MS Word and hit the books! Boy how things change!

8 comments:

dragonflydreamer said...

Congratulations to you on beginning a new journey. Medical Administration is a great field and definitely growing along with the entire medical profession. I wish you well and look forward to cheering you along the way.

xo Susi xo

LindaS said...

Good luck to you in your new adventure.

Whimsey Creations said...

You can do that math girlfriend - just slog through it with the attitude that it's only a few weeks, it's only a couple of weeks, one more week... and it will be over before you know it. Traveling mercies on your wonderful new journey in life. Hugs!

Christine said...

Hats off to ya, Cathy!!! All the best in your new life!!
Hugs, Christine

Really Just Rhonda! said...

Good for you! The first college graduate of the family? You better hurry! You have that niece right behind you! As for that college math...psshhh! I tested in to college algebra after 16 years and I thought FOIL was for cooking with. I headed right back to where you are. Don't feel bad it runs in the family. You will be a gunner! You will do GREAT!!!! I am so JEALOUS!!!! Kick butt and take names!!!!!

debbie said...

Good for you Cathy! Good luck.
That's a great field to go into.
deb

Jeanne said...

How exciting! Best of luck to you as you pursue your degree.

T=ME said...

Cathy your much braver than I! I know you will do fine. Nice to realize what you want to do when you grow up! Sending you love and wisdom! Hugs, Terri