Thursday, August 16, 2007

Attack of the Zucchini!

The following picture could be disturbing to those who are offened by....zucchini! I hadn't been out to the garden in only 2 days and this is what happened! I won't let it go that long again that's for sure. A garden is like men and children--they must be watched at all times or they go wild. This morning I picked. 26 cucumbers, 21 yellow crookneck squash, at least 24 zucchini and 4 peppers --it takes up most of the table!

The husband came home at lunch and just grinned--I sent him back to work with a big box of produce with instructions not to bring any of it back home. If this keeps up I'm going to make a visit to the mall parking lot and grace every unlocked car with squash!

This is the garden spot responsible for this turn out. There are only 3 zucchini plants and 2 yellow crookneck plants and somehow between them they've sprouted a watermelon that is trailing everywhere with big ol' melons growing amongst the squashes. The cucumbers have stayed to themselves--who knows what you'd get when you cross a cucumber and a squash. Now if we can just get our bushel of green tomatoes to turn red I might open a produce stand. And to think the husband wanted to plant our pasture in corn. I told him next year he could and we'll set up a drive thru farmer's market. LOL!

I found a new zucchini bread recipe that I just love--however you can only eat so much of that too, and so I thought I'd share it. If you've been overrun with zucchini give this recipe a try. It's delicious!


Zucchini Orange Nut Bread

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup oil
2/3 cup orange juice-fresh squeezed ( I used 2 oranges for this recipe)
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Glaze (optional) (I didn't use the glaze)
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons orange juice


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour bottoms only of two 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pans.
In large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-coloured; gradually beat in sugar.
Add oil, orange juice and zucchini.
Stir in remaining bread ingredients; mix well.
Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake at 350F degrees for 45-55 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes.
Remove from pans; cool slightly on a rack.
In small bowl, blend glaze ingredients; spread over warm loaves.
Cool completely on wire rack.
Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.

If you don't hear from me in a day or two please send someone to search for me in the garden!

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Wow Cathy! That's quite a harvest you've got there! I've canned over 70 pints of green beans now, and the bushes are STILL producing. Think I'll pull a few plants up and just keep enough to keep us in fresh beans for a few weeks. Good job!

mockingbird hill said...

Oh.My.Goodness. These fresh veggies look wonderful...it's just too dang hot here and unless you have some land, the neighbor folk don't look too kindly on gardens that grow FOOD here! Lucky, lucky, lucky... ;)

crazyhaberdasher said...

Is this a good time for everyone to give you their zucchini recipes?

Suzanne said...

Oh My! That's quite a harvest. We grew zuccs last year and had more than we (or the neighbors) could eat!
Thanks for the recipe!